Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Review: The Gazette- VORTEX

Tracklist:
1. VORTEX
2. UNCERTAIN SENSE
3. BREAK ME


VORTEX- Generally, I really like this song. I do have one question though: When exactly did Ruki become a pop artist? Let's just say the autotune at 40 seconds in, I could more than do without. That however, is only the bad thing I have to say about this song. The entire song is a meshing of so many different styles and is wrought with extremely creative guitar playing, especially Uruha's guitar solo from 1:42 to 2:22. It's amazing! Not because it's a particularly fantastic guitar solo but the intensity and workmanship are very intriguing. I think this might the most impressed I've ever been with him. I also enjoy the chanting "Vortex of Industry," taking place within this. As well as the background shouting "Countless Bug" (what does that mean exactly?) through the chorus. There are some supremely EPIC lines taking place here, among them: "Shut up, fuck up, jack off" (apparently there is some debate as to whether he sings jack ass or jack off, I personally prefer the latter.), "I don't wanna become the fuckin' garbage like you" (Oh, Ruki constantly improving your English curse words, and I love you for it!), and lastly one of my favorite lines, "You can't take my soul away from me." The lyrics are great, as well the instrumentals, beat, and underlying turntable elements. I feel like four minutes is too short though.

UNCERTAIN SENSE- I'm really stuck on this song, I'm going back and forth on whether I like it in its entirety or not. I do really like the introducing instrumentals, it's the vocals after that, that I'm a little iffy on. I'm not fond of Ruki's vocals throughout the verses, I really don't consider them to be his best. They're almost a little generic-like. Now his screaming is great! I also really enjoy the background vocals throughout the chorus. I would like to point out this song is entirely in English and the lyrics are very nicely done. But I kind of wonder what this song would have presented if it were in Japanese, would I have liked it more? The guitar riffs are really catching, so I really wish they would have showcased them a bit more. Unfortunately, the most we get is a 7 second guitar solo and the bass/guitar action taking place underneath the screaming, "Can't you see that light?", which by the way I quite enjoy. I do dislike the ending though, he literally screams "I died" and the song ends, which I suppose is fitting in a way.

BREAK ME- Again, I really like the introduction , the guitar riff is a little 90's rockish, but ummm........I'm not even sure I would recognize this as The Gazette, it's really the least Gazette-like song on this single. However, and even I'm surprised that I'm saying this. I really enjoy this song! The lyrics are fantastic! My favorite line: "Cold wind disappoints me," this is said beautifully. Admittedly, I was expecting something a little harder, from the title, and I was pretty disappointed the first time I heard this song but now I even enjoy the clapping beat. All I can say is, give it another chance, eh? Afterall, the guitar solo is brilliant! Check out: 1:33 to 2:09. Oh live, live, live, I would love to see this performed live!


My Grade: A-, 4.3/5

7 comments:

  1. I'd just like to let you know I agree with pretty much everything you had to say about the single. ;)
    Can't wait for a new album, eh?

    ~RazzleDazzle~

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked both "Vortex" and "Break Me" from this single (didn't mind the auto-tune used on "Vortex", I actually thought it added a nice touch).

    But "Uncertain sense" on the other hand, didn't strike me as really special or memorable. It's not really a "bad" song, but I don't think it's good either.

    On the whole though, this was a good single ... maybe next time it's going to be an album ? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. A new album would be great, but they would need to bring something new to the table and not just fill it with songs from the last four singles. Honestly, that would just suck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very true (I almost forgot about that xD!)

    And now that I think about it, It would also be great if they didn't put in too many 1 minute tracks ...

    ReplyDelete
  5. You mean intro tracks, things like that? I've also noticed that their songs have been getting shorter lately (with the exception of Pledge), so it would be nice to hear something longer than four minutes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah (DIM actually had 4 such instrumental interlude-like tracks)

    I don't actually mind 4 minute-long songs, as long as they're good of course...

    ReplyDelete
  7. True. I didn't think of DIM :P
    I suppose I just feel that, most of the time,
    3 1/2 to 4 minutes isn't long enough to really enjoy a song before it's over. To me a good sturdy song is at least 4 1/2 minutes lol just my opinion :)

    ReplyDelete