Saturday, October 29, 2011

Review: NEXX- EXISTENCE

Tracklist:
1. EXISTENCE
2. LEAKING THE CORE


I think this is the best I've ever heard from NEXX. They've improved enormously! I'm quite impressed. The quality of the music is much better, has a clearer sound and is also much less cluttered then many of their previously released tracks. I'm curious if the addition of guitar player Hayato, has anything to do with their betterment.

The most enjoyable thing about EXISTENCE, for me, are the various intrumental sections throughout the song. There is much fluctuation between each one but all keep true to the style of the music and the clarity in the sound of each instrument is palpable. From the beginning the pounding rythm guitar and drums combine well with the main guitar riff. There is also a slice of some great bass playing right at the forefront of the song, which lead right into a well done and very audible drum and guitar mixture, starting at about 29 seconds in and ending at 42 seconds. The guitar played underneath the verses, as well as, the solo is quite good, but my favorite guitar part probably has to be the two repeated and combined guitar riffs from 1:45 to 2:20.
The only thing I would fix about this song is the "brightness" of the vocals. As I said, the NEXX has defintely made all around improvements in the quality and clearness of their music, but I still think the vocals could use just a bit more energy. The guitars at this point outshine the vocals, at least during the verses. Though I do really like the background vocals and lead the lead vocalist's scream at 3:04.

LEAKING THE CORE is my preference between these two tracks, it's quite a bit harder instrumentally, while still having a catchy quality. Futhermore, I think the vocals are much better. I'm glad that, finally, NEXX's vocalist has my full attention. His singing rises above the instruments this time, both during the verses and the chorus, and the addition of screaming, spoken/whispered and background vocals really drive this song home. Not to mention that the drumline, vocals and guitar braided with the many electronic aspects throughout the song are wonderfully done, ex: 2:22 to 3:05 (this just so happens to be my favorite part of the song). I also enjoy the guitar solo here much more than in EXISTENCE, and that with the accompaniment of the piano/snythesizer elements make the perfect hard-hitting end to LEAKING THE CORE.

I quite enjoyed this single! NEXX also has a full album coming out on the 14th of December, titled "cap:cell". I look forward to that.


My Grade:   4/5


No comments:

Post a Comment