Tuesday, February 12, 2013

[Review] MEJIBRAY- DIE KUSSE


 
Tracklist:
1. DIE KUSSE
2. VIOLET
3. WANT
 
 
Rating: ★★★

 
While I do think DIE KUSSE is a good single, I'm not exactly overly impressed with it, I was hoping that MEJIBRAY would show a bit more versatility with this release.
 
They've been using a lot of female vocals in their tracks recently, including Emily and Black Baccarat. Though, frankly I'm not to fond of the female vocals that were used at the beginning of DIE KUSSE, I think this track has the best usage of these added vocals that I've heard them do so far. They add a lot of dimension to the song with the overlapping of different voices and intruments without overpowering the rest of the music or sounding awkward. Once I get passed those first 15 seconds, DIE KUSSE is a pretty great track. The guitar player is.........I'll admit I'm always extremely impressed with this guy.....he's quite talented. He has a very classic rock style of playing (which I personally am a huge fan of), and the way the Spanish style rythm plays underneath the lead guitar during the solo is fantastically done.
 
I haven't heard MEJIBRAY use many snyth or computerized effects in their music, so I like that they kind of stepped out of the box and added some effects to the beginning of VIOLET. I really enjoy the beginning of this track, so I was listening for more of these effects throughout the rest of the song, unfortunately, besides a few turntable noises and some beeps here and there, they were never brought back. It was a bit disappointing for me however, I do appreciate the echo effect that was used on Tsuzuku's vocals. I'd also like to point out the awesomeness of the bass line here, the guitar was of course superb as well, but I felt that the bassist did an exceptional job on this track. The bass line was so apparent and well done that I actually found myself paying more attention to that then the guitar line.
 
WANT is my least favorite song on this single, I think it brings the release down. In terms of vocals, instrumental abilty, creativity and quality, this track does pretty much nothing for the band. It doesn't show how good they are or can be. If this were the first track I heard from MEJIBRAY, I probably wouldn't listen to them again. Not impressed.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment