Friday, November 12, 2010

Review: Alice Nine- Stargazer


Tracklist:
1. Stargazer
2. Shinkirou
3. Karma


Wahhh!! Ok, so this single is pretty great! I don't know why I thought I would get anything less from Alice Nine but I will gladly admit that my expectations for this single were way off base. This is one single that I am actually able to listen to all the way through over and over again, usually when going through an album or single I find one favorite and the rest of the songs are mostly sub par.
I had heard Stargazer several times since the PV came out two weeks ago, and like I said when I posted the video I had thought that maybe Alice Nine was caught in kind of a rut with their recent title track releases. Because of this I'm going to use their last two singles, Hana and Senkou, as a comparison for this single. I get almost the same feeling from all three of these songs, not that it is a bad thing, I actually really like all of these tracks and I would say I like Stargazer more than Senkou and a little less than Hana. Stargazer has a nice rythm and the whole song fits together well. And of course Hiroto's playing is magnificent and I adore Shou's held out vocals, well I love his voice anyway! The bass and drumlines really stand out in this song and I think that is a huge part of what makes this song flow so well.
Honestly, my very first thought on Shinkirou was that I wasn't going to like it because I'm really not too fond of the introduction, but I'm definitely glad I listened for a few more seconds or I would have really missed out.
Once the guitar line comes in I'm hooked. The song feels lighthearted to me and has a different sound than what I've heard from Alice Nine in the past. I love that they put a giutar solo in almost all of their songs I really don't think an Alice Nine song would complete without one. At least I would miss it! Also, it sounds like there is some background synthesizer action going on, and I enjoy how they fit that as an undertone to the music.
I have noticed a trend in the last three releases and perhaps it is just a trend for me but I always seem to find the third song on the single the most appealing (on Hana it was High and Low, on Senkou it was Solar Eclipse) and this single is no exception. I think that by far my favorite song on this single is Karma.  I absolutely love the guitar riff to this song, I can't get enough of it. I really enjoy the synchronized volume of the vocals. Where one side of the speaker is cut off momentarily and then the sound comes full blast again. This song actually reminds me the most of Alice Nine's older stuff, mostly because of the low growl-like vocals at about 38 seconds in. I wish this had been incorporated more into the song. And that is really my only complaint for  this whole album.
Yay!! for Alice Nine! This deserves an A+

No comments:

Post a Comment