Saturday, June 18, 2011

Review: Alice Nine- BLUE FLAME

Tracklist:
1. BLUE FLAME
2. 残響ホワイトアウト (Zankyou Whiteout)
3. G3

BLUE FLAME- I've loved this song since the PV was released, nothing much has changed since then. It's rightly the title track, as it's definitely the most commercially catchy on the single. I did notice that even though BLUE FLAME is the longest song off the single, it feels like the shortest, maybe that's due to the faster, poppy progression of the song. The instrumentals throughout are very well done, especially the guitar. I also very much enjoy the bass and rhythm sections, Ex: 3:25 to 3:33, I'm actually not certain whether this is the bass or rythm guitar, I'd like if it were the bass, I feel like I'm not hearing anything that really stands out from Saga. There are also a lot of background vocals through the slower parts of the song and pre-chorus. I especially like the vocal layers during the very last chorus, starting at 3:50.
My favorite part: 2:36 to 3:15, if you notice Nao has a bit of a drum solo here which is exceptional, the guitar solo is lovely as well, and underneath that is another example of that great bass and rhythm section I was talking about.

残響ホワイトアウト (Zankyou Whiteout)- I find the main riff to this song quite memorable, it reminds me of something I've heard before, unfortunately I can't quite place it, but it seems 80's metal-ish. The song itself isn't exactly amazing for me, however, the intrumentals refuse to let me stop listening! As a whole the music to this song has quite the catch but I can't get over the awesomeness that the guitar players present throughout the entirety of this song. Everything guitar related is superb! I enjoy the squeals and shorts licks that deviate from the mass of the song. Also, the rythm section is very apparent, which I like, Ex: 1:35 to 1:52. And of course who could forget Hiroto's guitar solo from 2:35 to 2:57, however, my favorite guitar part is more towards the end, 3:31 to 3:40 (short but very sweet). Also......kudos to Nao for the beyond excellent drum line.

G3- So, this is a remake of Gokusai Gokushoku Gokudouka, right? It sounds so different, a million times over! And I have to be completely honest about my anguish right now. If I were going to judge this as a remake of one of my favorite songs by Alice Nine then I.........*deep calming breaths*.........I HATE IT!!! I hate it soooo much! However, if I were to completely wipe that fact from my brain, and pretend this isn't a redo, I could see how G3 is a decent song. I still don't love it but I'll give Alice Nine some credit. First, I think the song is a little over done, almost like there is too much going on. And at parts the transitioning between tempos/ riffs seems a bit off to me, maybe a bit too abrupt.. Ex: at 33 secs and at 1:44. Even a vocal part or two are a little awkward. Once you get further into the song, I do think that the instrumentals are pretty great. My favorite part:  obviously 2:44 to 3:00, the guitar solo and drumline combination here are really smooth and I like how this runs right back into the main rhythm of the song. And I really enjoy Shou's vocal section from 1:45 to 2:12. I'd also like to point out another great guitar segment: 3:39 to 3:42. this is both strategically placed and inventive.

My Grade: A, 4.5/5

Surprisingly, all three songs made it into my favorites list.......even G3.

No comments:

Post a Comment