Friday, July 29, 2011

Review: Tomodachi- Kamisama mo Tomodachi

Tracklist:
1. Kamisama to Onigokko。
2. Zetsurin ONANIST to Yuuutsu。


I do think that Kamisama to Onigokko is the better of the two songs, though both of the songs on this single,
strangely enough, remind me of old LuLu. For instance, I hear quite a bit of Mental Pain Reliever influence, and that might have a lot to do with the various background chorales of talking, screaming and moaning. In fact, I find the two singers voices to be quite similar, though I do have my qualms regarding Tomodachi's vocalist. I will say, that while I appreciate the (somewhat) uniqueness of his voice, I don't think that his vocal skills are quite up to par. With a voice like his, it could really only go one of two ways: he could make use of that uniqueness, improve upon it and wind up being a great vocalist (per Jin from NEGA or Taa of LuLu), or  it could possibly end up being the downfall of this band. Which would be a pity because I honestly think the music and instrumentals are extremely decent, and while Tomodachi definitely has a lot to improve on, it would be a shame to let that, by itself, go to waste.

I am curious to see and hear the whole song from the PV preview that was released a couple months ago,
A, Zekkou Hiyori, which apparently will only be released as a PV. Which I find odd, as that's the song they chose to promote, I simply assumed it would be the title track off the single.

Well, I can at least say that this doesn't suck as much as I thought it was going to. Given that Tomodachi is a new band, the production value isn't exactly fantastic, and everything I've seen from them, including PV previews and concert footage, all seemed to indicate that this release would really blow, I'm a bit surprised, I didn't hear what I thought I would. It isn't great, it's just barely good actually.........but still two thumbs up for not completely sucking.

I will definitely look into future releases, for the simple fact that I honestly hope Tomodachi gets better, though I can't say that I would go out my way to listen to them.

My Grade: 2/5

No comments:

Post a Comment