Sunday, April 10, 2011

Review: Screw- Deep Six

Tracklist:
1. DEEP SIX
2.  serial killer
3. Mind Candy
4. TRANCE

DEEP SIX- First off, I'm not entirely sure why this song was chosen to be the title track. It kind of has the same appeal/ feel to it as Duality, defintely not the best song on this single. It almost makes me feel like I'm not even listening to Screw, honestly. And you know, I don't hate DEEP SIX, it's a decent song. As I said it more or less has the same appeal as Duality and it grows on you after a while, mainly because the chorus is relatively catchy and the rythm and lead guitar riffs flow well together. I'd also like to point out the guitar solo from 2:12 to 2:32 is nicely done.

serial killer- I really really enjoy the drum beat/ synth riff / rythm guitar through out this song. I much prefer Screw's harder sounding songs, at least there is some much needed energy put into them. My favorite part: 2:49 to 2:59, I really like this vocal part, with the joined voices yelling and Byou screaming. Also, I think the chorus to this song is pretty great.

Mind Candy- Ok, so this is the best song on DEEP SIX, or at least my favorite song. This is the first time I've been delighted since I started listening to this single. There is a nice pounding rythm that goes along well with the guitar squeal (which I love, it reminds me of old school heavy metal) during the main riff, the instrumentals to this song are almost haunting in a way. The background and higher pitched vocals really amplify that haunted and passionate feelling for me. I'm becoming more in love with this song everytime I hear it. Instrumentals, solos, vocals, everything about this song is spectacular!

TRANCE- Ahhhh......I'm not gonna lie, I'm not too fond of this song. The music itself is very good, the rythm and lead guitars are right on, I especially love 2:16 to 2:26. Also, the drum line is the best on this single, extremely well done, and I can't help but love the electronic riff. So, now that I've praised this song sufficiently, I have to say, what's up with these lyrics?!? Am I missing something here? My Japanese isn't perfect so for the moment I'm really only understanding about half the song. Or does he really sing "because I'm so happy" ? Now maybe I'm just looking at this the wrong way, but you don't sing something like that in rock song!!! It just completely ruins the mood for me.....anyway to end, let me just say if it weren't for that, I would be completely into this song!

DEEP SIX is a decent single, however I do think a different song should have been the title track. Screw's recent music hasn't been terrible but what happened to singles like Racial Mixture and VENOM?? I wanna listen to Screw, dammit!

My Grade: B+, 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment