Friday, September 16, 2011

Review: BORN- Psycho Diva

Tracklist:
1. Psycho Diva
2. DAMNED


I've always been really impressed with Born, up until about the time DEMONS was released, that single just wasn't of comparable quality to their previous work. That being said, I think that Psycho Diva is a decent song but it pretty much sounds like everything else Born has put out recently. It literally sounds like it could be on DEMONS. Despite a catchy chorus and their ever good instrumentals, there isn't anything thats particularly special or new about this song. The only things that even remotely invoked my interest to more than just general liking are the bass and drum section from 0:27 to 0:43, and the music playing underneath Ryouga's vocals from 2:24 to 2:39. Other than that this is just an okay song, it's relatively appealing but there's no gusto.

I honestly think that it was a bit of let down for Psycho Diva to be the title track, because DAMNED is probably the best song I've heard from Born since Natsume Zakuro (off the DOGMA mini-album). It's most definitely the better of the two songs on this single. From the Spanish-style guitar to the screaming background vocals, every aspect is magnificent. One of the best guitar parts is the introduction with that Spanish-style guitar I was talking about, I also like how this was incorporated underneath the verses. The guitar solo is great, as well as the flow of the lead and rhythm guitars from 1:57 to 2:10. The drum and bass beats are very apparent, especially throughout the verses, which gives DAMNED quite a strong feel. I also don't believe I've ever found Ryouga's voice to be so engaging before so, I'm very fond of the the chorus here, particuarly with the addtion of those "oh, so common" screamed vocals in the background.

 
My Grade: 3.75/5

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with pretty much everything mentioned on this review: Enjoyable release, but it lacks some creativity.

    I can't decide which of the tracks I prefer, I honestly really like them both, and the scream/vox combos heard throughout the release are good.

    So overall, not much of a wow effect, but I'll probably be giving this quite a few listens until I get blown away by something else :D

    And btw, thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete