Monday, September 5, 2011

Review: The GazettE- REMEMBER THE URGE

Tracklist:
1. REMEMBER THE URGE
2. CLEVER MONKEY
3. 痴情


This honestly has to be my favorite of the last five singles the Gazette has released. Though RED was ridiculously over played on my iTunes, this may surpass that. I know that the Gazette was kind of "exploring" their musical style for while, but I like that they seem to have reverted to some their older work, if even just a bit, and tends to have a much harder feel than a lot of their more recent releases. In fact, I would say that the bulk of this single is a mixture of both old (leaning a little more towards this end) and new, which is refreshing and well, still actually sounds like the Gazette.

I really enjoy all of these songs, they're structured extremely well, and all of them bring something different to the table. The title track, REMEMBER THE URGE, is of course the most commercially catchy, nevertheless you'd be a liar if you said you weren't immediately taken in by the main riff. It'd be impossible to walk away from this song without listening to it atleast once. I have to commend the instrumentals here, very well done, the drums through this entire song are excellent, as well as the bass, check out: 1:52 to 2:02. Naturally I'm quite a fan of the guitar, however, I'm surprised that the solo didn't catch my attention more, I actually think that the best guitar part is from 0:28 to 0:55. My favorite part: 2:55 to 3:09, everything is put together really well here, and I like the subtle mixture of guitar and rhythm sections.

I have to say, this whole single is ripe with fantastic instrumentals, top to bottom. And the drums during CLEVER MONKEY easily caught the most of my attention, especially the stacatto-like drumming during the slower verses, this part also has some of the better guitar through out the song, as well as, 2:33 to 2:39 and 1: 26 to 1:39 and of course the guitar squeals. Again though, I really wish I was taken in a bit more during the solo here, I think it could've been a little more innovative. I would've liked if this song were atleast another 30 seconds or so longer, but I do love when they yell "Yeah, Clever monkey", it's probably my favorite part of this song.

I'm pretty sure  痴情 is translated as Blind Love, don't quote me on that, but I do think it's very fitting to the mood of this song. The introduction is fantastic, specifically that soft pounding of the drums playing on top intertwining guitar parts. I particularly enjoy the mixture of dramatic feeling music and the more intense screaming sections with in the song. I appreciate how well feeling is expressed through the music and vocals of  痴情, as well as this being one of the songs in which I find Ruki's voice, to some extent, more attractive than normal, especially when he hits the somewhat higher notes. This is another song that I wish went on for just a few more minutes. I probably wouldn't mind even if this were a 10 minute song.

I always really look forward to these guys putting out something new. I can't wait for the new album, and after taking a peek at the tracklist, I'm really excited to see that there aren't many songs from the last few singles. Mostly, just title tracks, PLEDGE, RED, SHIVER and VORTEX.


My Grade: 4.5/5

3 comments: