Friday, March 4, 2011

Review: Alice Nine- Gemini

Tracklist:
1. I.
2. Rumwolf
3. Stargazer: [Stargazer Single]
4. 4U
5. Shinkirou [Stargazer Single]
6. KING&QUEEN
7. Entr'acte
8. Senkou [Senkou Single]
9. 風凛
10. GEMINI-0-eternal
11. GEMINI-I-the void
12. GEMINI-II-the luv
13. birth in the death
14. Overture

I.- Hmmm interesting.........I really dislike this introduction. It reminds of a movie title opening for some reason. Actually I'm drawn in by the drumlime, almost a marching band feel especially at the beginning. The flow of this song is devine. I very much enjoy the extra instrumentals, they really push everything else forward and make this song an extremely strong start for this album.
 
Rumwolf- The first thing I noticed about this song: The bass line. It is subtle, but totally rocks. Ex: 2:02 - 2:06. I love it! I honestly straight up ADORE this song, it's way too short though, three minutes is no where near long enough. Extremely catchy chorus and hard-hitting instrumentals, I also enjoy the chanting, "Hold it back" throughout the song. And this guitar solo, fantastic!!!!!

Stargazer:- Previously released on the Stargazer single and reviewed by me HERE

4U- Lovely opening. This song gives me a sentimental feeling. It's very pretty and sweet. I really am very fond of the instrumentals in this song. Truly beautiful! My favorite part of this: Everything from Shou's climaxing vocals at 3:00 and to the guitar solo ending at 3:48 is spectacular. I especially love the play out on this song, with it's underlying low speaking vocals, I find them really intriguing.

Shinkirou- Previously released on the Stargazer single and reviewed by me HERE

KING&QUEEN- Wahhh! Hell yes!.......Man, I'm a sucker for good guitar!!!! And instrumentally this song is exquisite, it truly delivers. And it does have a very D/ Versailles feel about it, very heavy and speed-metalesque. Again, even though I feel this is one of the better, more rockin' songs on Gemini, like Rumwolf, at 3 minutes and 13 seconds this song way too short. I do thoroughly enjoy the ending though, besides the amazing guitar the last 20 seconds of this = my favorite part.

Entr'acte- I'm not sure if any of you know who Queensryche is (note: 80's heavy metal band, a fantastic metal band mind you, I adore them.......so this is a compliment) but this kind of intermission song makes me think of them. Definitely has that kind of feeling to it.

Senkou- Previously released on the Senkou single. Which I really enjoy.

風凛- I can't stand this vocal intro......it barely even sounds like Shou. The pounding drums and guitar that sound right after this are........so gripping, they make want to hear what comes next. And I'm not disappointed, though admittedly it took me a second to get into the groove of this song now I absolutely adore it. There are a lot of little experimental/ differentiated aspects thrown around throughout this song, and it all works really well together. For example: the record static effect, Shou's slight falsetto, and also at 1:54 to 2:13 honestly I'm not positive as to what instrument this is (some kind of string, could almost be the bass) but I love it, it is reminiscent of rain. And of course the guitar is phenomenal!

GEMINI-0-eternal- My favorite part of this song: 00:46- 1:12, this song is worth listening to just for that 26 seconds. But then my second favortie part of this song (2:40-3:05) hits, and it is phenomenal! The instrumentals to this song are out this world, but truthfully if it weren't for that fact I probably wouldn't listen to this song at all, I'm just not a big fan of it , and if you read my PV review HERE, I haven't been from the beginning.

GEMINI-I-the void-  Love this opening, so heavy. And OMG the guitar playing is superb.........I honestly wish this whole song was instrumental. Check these out: 2:02- 3:10, great bass line, of course the guitar is amazing, and that's some straight up the Doors synth/keyboard action goin' on right there. I haven't heard anything like that in a long time. Well done!

GEMINI-II-the luv- Gemini is basically a twelve minute song, I'm not sure why they seperated it into three parts but nevertheless, it's very well done. The harmony between guitar parts from 2:15 to well basically the end of the song is lovely. I love this slowed down play out, a really nice ending.

birth in the death- Love me some synth action, especially playing with those staccato guitar parts, and Shou's underlying vocals. The hard impact vocals coming off these slow verses are great and I love that at 4:00 you've got a dance beat thrown in. I can't think of any other words to describe this song than utterly MAGNIFICENT!!!!!! This is fantastically done. Best song on the Gemini album, absolutely no question for me. This.........I don't know I just want to stand up and give this song a round of applause, because that is how hard it hits me. If even just for this song, I'm ecstatic I bought this album.
Overture- An electronic conclusion......surprise, surprise! I like it,  though I would rather hear the guys playing any day, I still enjoy it.

My Grade: A, 4.5/5

Truthfully I had my doubts about this album, after I watched the Gemini PV I was rather disappointed, so I'm really happy to be shown that I was wrong. This album is worth every penny.

No comments:

Post a Comment