Monday, October 25, 2010

MUCC- Falling Down Single Review


Tracklist:
1. Falling Down
2. Hotaru
3. moon[L・N]ight
4. Yakusoku Warehouse Flavored Mix


So, I'm going to get right into the review, by listing each of the songs and telling you my thoughts on them individually and then giving you my over all impression of the album.

1. Falling Down: The first time I heard this I was watching the MV(which is fantastic by the way) and I have to admit my impression of this song wasn't that great. It is really different from anything I've heard by MUCC before, so it really caught me off guard and I suppose I was a bit biased. However, you can't always trust your first impression and I've always really liked MUCC, so I've been listening to this more frequently and admittedly it has really grown on me. It has a much more electronic sound then their previous albums, which I don't really mind. I actually have been finding lately that a lot of the J-Rock bands have been edging that way. It is extremely catchy and I really dig the hard bassline and back-up vocals. I should've know that MUCC wouldn't disappoint me.



2. Hotaru: Has more of rock feel to it, compared to Falling Down. The rythm is upbeat and it has a bit of a  pop(ish) undertone.I also really love the main riff that is played through out, honestly the song on its own is great! If you didn't like Falling Down (or if you did) I definitely suggest that you still give this song a listen!

3. moon[L・N]ight: is not my favorite song........it is almost too piano jazzy for me but I'm really at a crossroads with this, I can't decide if I like it or not. I would say about 2:20 into the song the tempo changes and I actually start to ..............and then the song is over.

4. Yakusoku Warehouse Flavored Mix: I really enjoy this song. I have nothing bad to say about it. Yakusoku gives you a taste of everything that was present in the previous three songs, a bit of an electronic feel, an upbeat tempo, the piano is back of course while still giving us their rock sound. It is catchy while the addition of a string section (I believe) really adds some depth. This might be my favorite song on this single.


Over all I think this was a great single. Now compared MUCC's other releases I wouldn't say Falling Down is their best, but I really admire them for branching out, trying something that the fans weren't expecting and making it work for them. In every song they experimented with a different sound, which I find extremely refreshing. So much better than listening to two songs in row and still thinking you're listening to the same track (don't lie it has happened to you too). So, if I were a teacher and this single were a homework project, I would give it an A- .

I would really like to hear your opinion on this album. If you disagree with me, I don't mind, just tell me why you disagree or just tell me what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment