Monday, December 6, 2010

Review: Merry- Yakou

Tracklist:
1. Yakou
2. Lost Generation
3. Yakou -TAIHAI mix-

Yakou is better then both PV previews led me to believe. For me the most intriguing part of this song is the intro. and while the rest of the song does have a slight catch about it, I can't really get myself into it. I think it is an..........ok song, and that is really it. There is nothing fantastic about the vocals (I really wish there was more energy behind them), the instrumentals are good, I like the guitar riffs and I give props to the drummer because I don't think a drumline has ever been so apparent to me. Yakou starts out great but I think it progressively gets more drab? and then the ending just kind of flatlines, it feels out of place. The best part about this one are the drum and guitar lines.

I wouldn't necessarily say that Lost Generation is a great song, but there is something about it I really like. It's not what I'm used to hearing from Merry. I actually think that it is the chorus I find so appealing, with it's background OH's, I quite like it. This song is not really the best of vocal examples, mostly just scratchy sounding screams, but surprisingly I think that is what reallly makes this song, without it this wouldn't be nearly as gripping. Although this is the longest song on the single, at 4:06, I wish it were longer. Seriously, another thirty seconds would make my night.

I think I actually like the Yakou -TAIHAI mix- better than the original version. It is definitely more interesting, I especially love the echoing, choir-like vocals during the chorus. I think at a slightly slower pace this song hits me harder.  

Despite a few interesting aspects throughout the songs, I don't really see anything extremely remarkable about this single. At most it only deserves a C, which sucks because I was hoping for something more exciting.

No comments:

Post a Comment