Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Review: D- Vampire Saga

Tracklist:
1. 無垢なる薔薇の祈り
2. In the name of justice
3. Underground Road
4. DAY WALKER
5. 翠緑の翼
6. 月と海の誓約
7. 愛は棺の中に
8. 赤き羊による晩餐会
9. 太古の牙 [Instrumental]
10. Desert Warrior
11. Quartet ~真夜中の四重奏~
12. Black Swan
13. Der König der Dunkelheit
14. Silver acorn bullet [Bonus Track]


無垢なる薔薇の祈り- I don't really like this song......until about a minute and six seconds in. This song is lovely and the background choir fits really well. (Ex: 1:32-1:37, I love this!). And Damn! Can this guy hit a falsetto, nicely done. The instrumental fade out and build up from 2:20-2:38, brilliant!

In the Name of Justice- This is the title track from D's last single of the same name, and since this has already been out for a while it seems a little pointless for me to review it. So I'm gonna skip this one.


Underground Road- The opening to this I really enjoy, it has some nice bass. I'm not too fond of the vocals here, I actually think they are some of the worst I've heard from Asagi, they just seem rather bland. And that is kind of how I feel about this song as well. That is until the chorus kicks in. Eveything thing past 1:20 is frankly fantastic, and really catchy. Great guitar towards the end.

Day Walker- Did I mention that this guitar player is awesomely talented? Check out the riff at the intro. The only thing I find slightly odd about this song is at about 1:47 in, the transition between these two parts of the song just seems out of place to me. Again though kudos to this guitar player, I'm impressed, that solo is wonderful!

翠緑の翼- Love this intro. I'm intrigued already. I wish the rest of the song lived up to this opening though. I really think this song is just decent, I can't really say that this song is boring but it could use a little something extra. Something to really give it a bit of a catch. It's a good song, it just doesn't really stand out for me.

月と海の誓約- Again this song has a great introduction and much more energy than the previous song. i quite enjoy this chorus, it's not very traditional (meaning that it is not extremely discernable from the verses) and only slightly catchy, but it has a great flow to it. And this drumline is the best I've heard on this album so far.

愛は棺の中に- Right off the bat I can say that instrumentally this song is beautiful. Once again this has a great drum line, and I adore the added string section. This also has some of the best and most likely, easily looked over rythm guitar (ex: 1:36-1:39), I'd love to hear more of this.  Even the lead guitar here is top notch, that guitar solo from 2:55-3:20 is Wahhh! Amazing, Brilliant, Breath-taking....take your pick.


 赤き羊による晩餐会- I have a major thing for softly spoken/whispered vocals, so I totally dig this opener. Also, the background choir thing D has going on, love it! Props the guitar player and the drummer as well, fuck props to all of them! This song is fantastic, my second favorite on the album. I also really enjoy the back and forth changes in rythm, is it just me or is there quite the swingin' bass going on?

太古の牙 [Instrumental]- Truthfully I'm not really one for pure imstrumentals, I prefer my songs with lyrics. And this seems to be mainly a drum solo, which is phenomenal by the way, but I wouldn't have minded hearing some guitar.

Desert Warrior- Oddly enough this introduction reminds of the music to some old school video game or something.......I'm unsure but this sounds extremely familiar to me. I'm not too fond of this, and the main guitar is probably why, but I do really enjoy the background vocals.

Quartet ~真夜中の四重奏~ - I'm on the verge of liking this. There are some really interesting drums going on here, and the guitar riff seems like a lower range, simplified version of the riff from Desert Warrior. So again that is probably the one thing I'm really not liking about this song. Everything else though, is superb! The chorus is catchy, and the group shouting/singing adds balance and dimension, Asagi's voice is also pretty exceptional here.

Black Swan- I can't say I particularly love this song, but all in all it's a good song. The instrumentals are perfect and it has a nice chorus. I don't really like the sort of chanted yells though, honestly that is what I like the least about Black Swan.

Der König der Dunkelheit- It is a bit cliche, I guess, to say that the title track on such a big album is my favorite track, but seriously it is. It can't be helped. Asagi's low vocals are perfection! Best vocals on this entire album bar none. The instrumentals on this are again amazing! I want to especially point out that the drummer (Hiroki), throughout this whole song must need a ton of energy in order to stay on top of that drum line. It's extremely fast and difficult. The dialogue at the end of this is strangely soothing, no? Asagi has a great voice. My favorite part of this song: 4:20-4:33.

Silver Acorn Bullet- I hate the introduction to this, it reminds me of a circus. As soon as the guitar kicks in though I completely forget about it. I am astounded by this guitar player, he deserves some MAJOR credit. This song wouldn't even be half as incredible without him. I love the vocals here as well and frankly this song is incredible!




I must admit that this album has totally blown my expectations out of the water. This is probably the best full album I've had the pleasure of listening to in a long time. I can't give enough praise to this and I'm pretty sure I used every word I could think of to say that this album was amazing while writing this review. So, yeah..........BUY THIS!!!


My Grade: A, 4.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment