Sunday, January 30, 2011

Review: NEXX- Gemini


Tracklist:
1. Dystopia
2. Velvet Ray


Dystopia- Well this song is a bit contrary to the title because we aren't being deprived of anything......apparently NEXX was unable to pick just one instrumental additive (I'm pretty sure I hear piano, some kind of woodwind, a little synth. and a string section). This song seems a little messy to me, kind of all over the place. The extra instrumentals that should be underlying are overpowering the vocals. I say keep the regular band instruments, some light synth., power up the vocals, and kick out everything else but maybe the piano or strings (but just pick one). However, I do really enjoy the way the two come together in the last few seconds of the song.

Velvet Ray- Again put some power behind those vocals! They're practically lost underneath the instrumentals. Great flow behind the guitar line here, really nice, and the string section actually fits in quite well during this song. I actually kind of like it.

My only real complaint remains to be the vocals. These songs would be 10 times better if the singers voice was distinguishable enough from the music to grab my attention, because it is immediately taken away by the guitar player. And I noticed the same problem with their last release, NEO BLACK, though actually I think they had a better handle on balancing the instrumentals and vocals.

My Grade: C+, 3/5

No comments:

Post a Comment