Friday, August 12, 2011

Review: Anli Pollicino- Rondo

Tracklist:
1. Rondo
2. Malignant Narcissism
3. Colors


If not for the opening and instrumentals throughout Rondo, this song wouldn't have caught my attention at all. Even accounting for those things I had a rather difficult time giving this song my full consideration, I find it a bit boring, only the instrumentals really seemed to pull me out my stupor. As I said, I like the opening, I appreciate that it's a good 30 seconds long, the drum line here is my favorite part about it and I also quite enjoy the main guitar riff. One thing that I do acknowledge about this song is the apparency of the individual instruments. And though I feel they are very noticable through the whole of the song, the entire first verse is a great example for the drums and bass, and the second verse provides a proper section for the rythm and main guitar. Also, I feel it is a requirement for me to point out the superb (and most effective tool to get my attention......*cough, cough*) guitar solo from 2:44 to 3:20, there is also some very good bass and drums here. As for the vocals, I'm not a big fan of Shindy's voice in this song, which I'm surprised by, because normally I enjoy his vocals, but here they seem to be lacking. 

By far my favorite song off this single, without question is Malignant Narcissism.  I think this has a rather unique feel to it. One of the best aspects of this song is the background vocals, specifically the growling/ screaming vocals, I very much like the line "Tell me I'm remarkable" (at least I'm pretty sure that's what is being said, don't quote me on that). The main vocals seem to be up to par again, which I'm glad for. Moving on to the music itself, through the pre-chorus there is some very nice guitar work from 1:44 to 1:54, as well, the guitar solo from 2:35 to 3:08 really deviates from the main riff or base of the song, and that on it's own I find very appealing.


Truthfully, I think Colors is a bit of a filler song. That's not a pretty way of putting it, but to me it sounds rather generic and "poppy", it's on the somewhat cute and romantic side for Anli Pollicino. Now, I don't think this is a bad song, it just wasn't what I was hoping to hear. I do like the opening, for me, it's one of the best part of this song, particularly up to about 18 seconds, and it also made me think I was about to hear something much different. A bit misleading, I think. Adversely, Colors does have some decent instrumental sections, the main guitar riff is quite good, 3:42 to 4:06 is the best and most distinct example of the lead guitar work, and I really enjoy the bass here, ex: 1:43 to 2:05 and 2:52 to 3:07, more or less the only reasons I'm going to listen to this song again.

My Grade: 3/5

I'm slightly disappointed with this single, especially considering my new found love for Anli Pollicino.

No comments:

Post a Comment