Sunday, August 7, 2011

Review: LM.C- Hoshi no Arika

Tracklist:
1. Hoshi no Arika
2. MAD or DIE


I don't really think either of these songs are particularly great. They both seem rather amatuerish for LM.C, honestly. I feel like this single is a step backward from their last release. I listen to Super Duper Galaxy and Bad Spider, which are both great songs, and I'm pumped for Hoshi no Arika.......and then I hear this, not so excited anymore. And once again, LM.C has included " The MAD LM.C", which I really think of as an intriguing concept, I enjoy the change up, the new look is pretty awesome, no complaints on that aspect. But, they also introduced " The MAD LM.C" on the Let Me' Crazy single via No Fun, No Future, which as I recall is just about my least favorite song off these last three singles.

So, first off, the vocals from Hoshi no Arika remind me an awful lot of the actual singing vocals on Rock the LM.C. Keep in mind Rock the LM.C was released in 2006, now just how many steps backward do we have to take to get to five years ago? The overall goal of a band should be to keep your sound and integrity intact, but still progress. And I just don't think they're doing that with this song. I mean, yeah, the tune is kind of catchy, the vocals are decent, the short guitar solo is obviously the best part of this song, and in general I like it, but it takes more than what they've presented here to make a great song.

And then we come to MAD or DIE, the MAD LM.C song, with Aiji on vocals of course. While I much prefer Maya on vocals, Aiji does have nice voice, and again, over all I like MAD or DIE, I definitely prefer to this No Fun, No Future, and I would actually say this is probably the better of the two songs on this single. Once, I get past the first thirty seconds or so, I find this song rather enjoyable. I did have to listen to it several times to be able to think that, but nevertheless, the music is energetic, upbeat, it's got a nice rythm, and you can dance to it (that's a joke probably only I get)..................anyway, is it Maya doing the spoken vocals? 'Cause they're sort of creepy.

Yes, I could listen to these songs, no problem, it's not as if LM.C has released a couple of horrendous songs here. However, I don't really feel the drive to listen to them. Here's hoping for a great next release, huh?

My Grade: 3/5

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the review, I might have missed this release otherwise xD!

    Even though I really like LM.C, it's still hard to get excited over their new releases, and I kind of think their best tracks were from ~2007 (Boys and girls, Liar Liar, Bell the Cat).

    Hoshi no Arika definetely sounds like a throwback to that period in time, but it only manages to sound kind of good.

    "anyway, is it Maya doing the spoken vocals? 'Cause they're sort of creepy."

    lol, MAD or DIE sounds good except for the English vocals during the bridge. Just horrible.

    About the single as a whole, 3/5 is probably what I'd give it too (maybe even 3.5/5, but not more).

    ReplyDelete