Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Review: D- 鳥籠御殿~L'Oiseau bleu~

Tracklist:
1.Torikago Goten~L’Oiseau bleu~
2. Hane wo Hito Hira
3. Denshō sa reshi sora no monogatari


Torikago Goten~L’Oiseau bleu~ - I'm not entirely sure what to say about this song, and I've spent a good chunk of time with it in my thoughts. What I'm left with is that this is perfection, I really couldn't ask for anything more, and I can honestly say I've never said that about any other song.....EVER! Usually when I talk here, I tend to gravitate towards specific instances with in the instrumental line or vocals, which are all very important, but I think this song is much more than just composition. The music is beautiful and powerful and somehow sad, it inspires a myriad of emotions. And that is a genuine, remarkable talent, something that every band should aspire to. To move your audience in such a significant way is not accomplished often. Of course, I'm merely speaking from my own experience, others may feel a completely different way, I don't know, all I can really say is, I'm enraptured by this song. Torikago Goten~L'Oiseau bleu~ is one of, if not, the best thing I've heard from D.

Hane wo Hito Hira- The opening itself is quite interesting, there is a lot going there. You've got strings, then you've got some turn table action, they're laying some nice ground work with the drums and then it explodes into that heavy guitar, kind of makes you wonder what the song has in store for you. And I'm not in the least disappointed, obviously I don't think its the strongest song on the single, I actually woundn't mind hearing a bit more power behind the music at parts, other than that you'll hear no complaints from me about this song. My favorite part: I can't help myself I'm complete sucker for guitar, and as well as the instrumentals in general, 2:13 to 2:40 is a fantastic solo. Also, underneath this guitar from about 2:30 to 2:39 is, not only the first time I've actually heard the bass this entire single, but there is some wonderful plucking right there.


Denshō sa reshi sora no monogatari- First of all, I could really do without the opening, or the chorus for that matter, I'm just really not a big fan of it. It seems like this song is a bit all over the place, there is quite the  mixture of music here, they may as well have rolled three songs into one. Oddly enough, I think that the opening and chorus' are probably the most "D sounding" parts. The verses themselves, while I actually really enjoy the vocals here (they're pretty much my favorite part of this song, Asagi's voice tends to have quite a deep or low quality about it and this really lets you experience another side of his voice), if you compare them to a lot of D's other songs, they barely sound anything alike. And while this definitely wasn't my favorite song there are some aspects of it that I quite enjoy, I've already mentioned the main vocals but I especially like the screaming or chanting vocals in the background. And of course, I can't go without mentioning the instrumentals, D has never let me down there, and this song does come with a very good guitar solo from 2:06 to 2:28, not to mention the great guitar work underneath the verses.

My Grade:  4.5/5


I really wish I could have scored this single higher, I want to give it a 5 soooooo badly, but compared to Torikago Goten~L'Oiseau bleu~, the other two songs were a slight let down, while still very good, since there were things I didn't like I guess I really couldn't justify it.

No comments:

Post a Comment