Thursday, August 11, 2011

Review: Suzaku- Magaru Suiren Kakeru[11ul]


Tracklist:
1. Magaru Suiren Kakeru[11ul]
2. Zekkashou
3.『』 Iwaku,
4.TEONANACATL


Like I've said previously, Under Code usually knows what they're doing, so I had been really interested in hearing this band. I've had this single for a while and actually I've been wanting to post a review for quite some time because I like these guys, and I'm quite pleased with this single. I would probably compare them to Kagerou and older AND -Eccentric Agent-, and then Suzaku really gives it all a twist of their own. And I think they're a pretty interesting group. I know that they've already lost one of their members, the drummer I believe, but I hope they stick around for a while, I'm intrigued, I'd like to hear more. 

The two best songs off the single have to be Magaru Suiren Kakeru[11ul] and Zekkashou. These are also the two that remind me the most of Kagerou and AND, I'm a pretty big fan of both of those bands, so I can't complain there. And of the newer bands that I've listened to recently, Suzaku definitely possesses one of the better vocalist. I'm pretty fond Itsuki's voice, it has a nice growling feature, and I like how he keeps changing from normal singing to talking to screaming and screeching . I appreciate the electronic components of the two songs, and it's feasibly one of the best parts of the music. I won't exactly praise them instrumentally, I don't think the playing is extraordinarily great, but in truth I do find it striking. I will note that the drummer and main guitar player have caught my interest, and I would say my favorite part of Magaru Suiren Kakeru[11u] is from 2:06 to 2:49, this section really shows off the two instruments the most. Though they are much more readily apparent in Zekkashou, as there is some relatively decent drumming and guitar here, I don't think the quality is near as good.

.『』 Iwaku, has some added instruments that really give it a bit of swing element that admittedly I thouroughly enjoy. And the guitar here may just be the best on the single, ex: 0:22 to 0:29 and 0:40 to 0:46, I like that the guitar parts here don't come in the form of a traditional solo, but I would have also liked if this had been carried on to the rest of the song. There is also an segment in the song, from 2:15 to 2:24, where it sounds like all of the instruments are gradually moving to a climax at the end of the song, I quite like it.

And TEONANACATL, is probably the song I like the least. The instrumentals are actually pretty good here, again nothing extremely special, I will however acknowledge the drum line from 2:05 to 2:28, because it's pretty much the best part of this song. The rest I feel is just a bunch of screaming and chanting, and that's a bit of a turn off, it just kind of ruins this song for me. If at least during the verses Itsuki had been singing, more than likely it would have really cleaned up this song.


My Grade:  3.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment